Monday, December 10, 2007

Being Pretty

As a kid I couldn't wait to grow up and be pretty! I would perch on the scallop shell pink sink in our 80's bathroom, (with no concern, that it could unhinge from the grey and black-tiled wall-at any minute) pour expensive purple eyeliner around my eyes. Circle magenta shimmery lipstick around and around my 8 year-old lips. I would make kissy faces in the mirror, while I pretended I was an actress in a commercial-in which I would keep saying "I don't understand" with a french accent.

say wha?????!? well, I survived that analyst worthy childhood ritual and have come to my senses.

We place so much emphasis on looks and beauty and what is 'perfect'. Who knew back in the 80's (whilst I awaited for prettiness to occur), that 20 years later-there would be fewer celebrities without nose jobs than with? I want to swing the pendulem back to the days of natural beauty. Stop watching the shows about plastic surgery, they are insane! What is natural is pretty. Love yourself. Accept your flaws that only you see and show me what you think is the best pretty.

No comments:

>> CONTRIBUTORS

SONGS AND QUOTES

"Tell me a story about how you adore me"
- Mick Jagger 'Have you seen your mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow?'

"No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly"
- Oscar Wilde

BOOKS MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL

  • Packaging Girlhood by Lynn Mikel Brown
  • The Female Brain by Louann Md Brizendine
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kindera
  • The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
  • Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher